Tuesday, February 13, 2007
belief and practice
Dot read something out in lecture today that I've been finding really challenging lately, about what we believe and what we do.

If what I say I believe doesn't really reflect how I live, then do I really believe it? Because I can live as though I don't believe at all, yet still claim belief. But that doesn't work, becuase believing is nothing without practice. There's no point in saying you believe something and living as though you don't because who does that help? It only makes your beliefs void in other people's eyes, and shows that you place no value on what you believe.


3 Comments:

Blogger Carl said...

I was reading the other day about a position in the philosophy of mind called behaviourism, which argues that the only way we can say that people have beliefs/desires etc is by analysing their behaviour.

I think that's very scary.

Blogger Ruth said...

I have to say I got to a point where i realised the way i was actting was matching up to what i believed and I needed to step back and take a long hard look @ myself and my behaviour I'm still looking at it now and I can't believe how far my beliefs and my behaviour away from each other!

Blogger Laura said...

That is quite a scary thought... surely we have to take into account though that as humans we're flawed and the standard of our practise will never match up to that of our beliefs...

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer